Meet the new Sony Alpha A900
Sony Minolta Alpha fans have been waiting for this day for the longest time, but the wait is over! The Alpha A900 is officially announced by Sony! The Sony USA press release can be found at the Imaging Insider, along with a handful of official camera body shots. Meanwhile at dpreview, we find a 13-page hands-on preview by Simon Joinson. The preview includes 39 samples, some taken with a pre-production unit. You can download the full size JPEGs if you like. One cat picture is included :-)
But wait, there's even more! Production samples from A900 at Alpha Mount World. They have also posted their hands on preview. This is a site that specializes in Sonoltalpha, so they are more "tuned" to the Minoltans. And so is Photo Club Alpha which has posted a brief summary with more coming up later today.
There's more more! Michael McNamara has posted his hands-on first impressions after checking out a pre-production model at a sneak preview.
The price? Oh yes, the price. The price is close to the Chinese leak, it will start at $3000 and ship around November 2008. It will be available for pre-ordering at Sony Style starting tomorrow (Sept 10). For more on pre-orders, be sure to check the A900 pre-orders round-up.
Meet the Alpha A900
"You are finally here my one true love" say the Sony-Minolta-Alpha fans in unison. Okay, not exactly in those words, but look at the specs!
- 35mm full frame CMOS Exmor sensor at 25mp (24.6)
- two Bionic (Bionz) image processing engines
- SuperSteadyShot INSIDE - image stabilization inside the body, the first full-frame DSLR to do this. Estimated (by Sony) benefit is 2.5 to 4 stops
- 5-fps machine-gun mode (around a dozen RAW or JPEG files - see review)
- new mirror box with parallel-link mechanism
- 100% pentaprism OVF with 0.74x magnification
- ISO 100-6400 (200-3200)
- Hot Shoe
- New (optional) VG-C90AM vertical grip (two InfoLithiums)
- The promised "Intelligent preview" is a "RAW preview" albeit on the camera, not on a computer. This will be talked in the forums!
- 3" LCD with 921k dots (not pixels), but no "Live View"
- Also top-LCD for those who like it (see it at dpreview)
- DRO with five levels, and DRO bracketing
- 13 Creative Stylues, 3 User Modes
- 100K shutter
- HDMI output
- and a lot more
Reactions to the announcement and previews coming up later today. We want to give Sonoltas some time to read and digest all the previews, reviews, samples and specs before starting the reactions round-up.
The A900 and two new lenses have been updated in the Photokina 2008 Situation Room.